Skip Navigation

Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Offices, Bridge Street, Christchurch

Contact: Sarah Culwick (01202 795273)  Email: democraticservices@christchurchandeastdorset.gov.uk

Link: To watch this meeting click here (Right-click to open on new window)

Items
No. Item

181.

Declarations of Interests

    Members are reminded that any disclosable pecuniary interests must be declared including any issues which may arise through pre-determination or bias.

    Pro forma for this purpose are available from the Members' Room.

    Minutes:

    There were no declarations received on this occasion.        

    Nottage – 4 Chairman of the BCP Shadow Authority non pecuniary and Cllr Jamieson on Executive.

182.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 50 KB

    To confirm as a correct record the Minutes of the last meeting held on 24 October 2018.

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the meeting held on 24 October 2018 were agreed and signed as an accurate record.

    Voting: Unanimous

183.

BCP Programme Resource pdf icon PDF 60 KB

    To request that a contribution of £421,009 is set aside to support the BCP LGR Programme.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Strategic Director submitted a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'A' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

    Members were asked to consider a request that a contribution of £421,000 is set aside to support the BCP LGR Programme.

    In response to some Member questions, Members were advised that they could refuse to put the sum aside but at some point all of the Council’s resources would be put into a central pot for BCP.  £2.5M had been set aside originally for BCP and DCP.  There was always an expectation that there would be a request for further funding.  This is not an overspend but rather that the programme has moved to the stage where further money is needed.

    A Member reminded Members that the Council was going to appeal to Central Government for a contribution to funding the transition and asked how this was progressing.  Members were advised that the interim Section 151 officers were pursuing this through the MHCLG, who are maintaining that there was no money to support the process.  The best the Council could expect was a capitalisation direction.  Members asked that it be noted that this Committee was quite concerned that there was not funding provided.

    In relation to staff redundancies a Member asked if there were financial pay offs being budgeting for, such as were reported in the press.  It was explained that payoffs were not discretionary but were part of an employee’s terms and conditions.

    RECOMMENDED that Full Council approves that £421,000 is set aside, as this Council’s contribution to the funding of the BCP LGR Programme, from unallocated reserves.

    Voting: 5:1 (1 Abstention)

184.

Quarter Two Budget Monitoring Report pdf icon PDF 85 KB

    To update Members regarding the:

    ·       Quarter Two Budget Position

    ·       Capital Programme

    ·       Reserves Position

    Minutes:

    The Partnership Financial Services Manager submitted a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'B' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

    Members were given an update regarding the:

    ·       Quarter Two Budget Position

    ·       Capital Programme

    ·       Reserves Position

    Following a question from a Member it was confirmed that services designed at the beginning of the year were delivered, with savings on staffing.  For example there had been savings realised within Organisational Development salaries due to two things.  They were now doing a lot of work for the new BCP and Dorset Councils, saving salaries but contributions were being made towards secondments.  Services were trying to hold vacancies and not fill them as the Council ceases on 31 March 2019. 

    18:20 Cllr Lofts left the meeting.

    A Member advised that in relation to Saxon Square Car Park, which during heavy rain the top deck sometimes flooded, reducing the capacity usage.  Concern from the Member that the Council was missing out on potential income. 

    A Member suggested that Saxon Square toilets should have longer opening hours, beyond 6pm.  It was suggested that this be raised with the Community Committee. 

    RESOLVED that the content of the report be noted.

    Voting: Nem. Con

185.

Car Parks Report for 2018-19 pdf icon PDF 76 KB

    To review the performance of the car park operations.

    Minutes:

    The Property, Engineering and Parking Manager submitted a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'C' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

    Members were asked to review the performance of the car park operations.

    Following a Member request the Officer agreed to investigate a solution to the flooding on the top deck at Saxon Square Car Park.

    Members were pleased that reconfiguration works to Council car parks in Christchurch town centre, that were planned to commence on 26th November, had now been postponed until the new year so as not to cause any disruptions to Christmas shopping.

    A Member asked how figures for usage of the shopping car parks in Highcliffe, faired against last year’s figures.  A comparison would be drawn up and sent to Members.

    In response to a Member’s request, the Officer agreed to investigate an anti-slip surface for Saxon Square car Park as the steps were slippery when wet.

    RESOLVED that the report is noted.

    Voting: Nem. Con

186.

Considering debts for Write off pdf icon PDF 61 KB

    To update members on the procedure for the tracing and collection of debt prior to consideration of the debt being presented to members for write off.

    Minutes:

    The Head of Stour Valley and Poole Partnership submitted a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'D' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

    Members were given an update on the procedure for the tracing and collection of debt prior to consideration of the debt being presented to Members for write off.

    Diane Milne, Collections Services Manager, SVPP presented the report. 

    A Member asked how performance was in comparison with other years.  It was explained that figures were slightly down, but this was the same across the other areas.  Universal Credit was having an impact.  The officers were intending still to meet targets for the year. 

    RESOLVED that prior to a debt being presented to Members for write off, all avenues of collection and enforcement are exhausted, including the use of “trace and collect” services by Enforcement Agencies.

    Voting: Unanimous

187.

Representation at Meetings on Behalf of the Council pdf icon PDF 53 KB

    To receive written reports from Members representing the Council at meetings on behalf of the meeting.

     

    Minutes:

    Members considered a Representation at Meetings on Behalf of the Council report, detailing a meeting of the Dorset Waste Partnership Joint Committee, held on 5 November 2018.  A copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'E' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

    Cllr Jamieson asked the Committee if they would agree that she be the named fulltime Member on the Joint Committee, rather than Deputy, as she had attended this year’s meetings.  It was confirmed that Councillor Hall was in agreement with this.  All Members agreed.

    In relation to the Christchurch area of BCP continuing with the services of DWP for the following year, a Member asked if BCP had held discussions with DWP to tender for BCP from 2020.  Some Members did not think a one year transition period was long enough, thinking it would be challenging to complete within this time, to transfer to Poole or Bournemouth’s current services.  DWP had been in talks with BCP but there has been no change in position so far. 

    Members agreed that the Committee’s concerns should be expressed to the DWP Joint Committee by the Resources Committee Chairman.  

188.

Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 38 KB

    To advise Members of the Forward Plan for monitoring the work programme of the Resources Committee for 2017/2018.

    Minutes:

    The Democratic Services Officer submitted a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'F' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

    Members considered the Committee’s Forward Plan. 

    Members agreed that a report detailing the RAG rating for the Capital Programme be presented to the next meeting of the Committee.

    Voting: Nem. Con

    18:45

 

Christchurch Borough Council Logo
Powered by GOSS iCM